searching for a wide alpha cpu heatsink (2nd request)

Hoover, Tony hoover at sal.ksu.edu
Tue Nov 11 14:26:14 UTC 2008

Interesting.  All my LX's and SX (and even my EB64+, back in the day)
all had 3 wire fans.  I thought it was required.  IIRC, You could use a
PC fan, but you have to switch the power and tach lines (I think, check
pin-outs before taking my word on that).  I remember that I did re-wire
a PC fan for one of my alphas.

I guess if you have something to generate psuedo-tach pulses, you could
passively cool an alpha (with a large enough heat-sink).  I'll  be
interested in hearing the outcome.

If you know a machinist, you could have him build a heat sink for you
out of a block of aluminum.  Remember, surface area is the key, so use a
small mill to make lots of fins.

Good luck