Fwd: Re: Alpha library code releases?

poly-p man pyrophobicman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 01:27:15 UTC 2009

Got bored today... bad news unfortunately.. :(

Subject: Re: Alpha library code releases?
Date: Friday 10 April 2009
From: Linda Knippers <linda.knippers at hp.com>
To: "poly-p man" <polypolyman at ibiblio.org>

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your interest.  At this point there is no plan to
release any of this compiler or tool chain technology.  Its not
that there isn't interest at the engineering level, but open
sourcing technology is a pretty time intensive activity involving
corporate IP lawyers and multiple business units.  I've floated the
idea around but for it to really go anywhere, I need an executive
willing to sponsor the activity and haven't had much luck there.

I'm sorry the news isn't better.

Regards,

-- ljk

poly-p man wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>
> While HP no longer officially sells Alpha-based systems, there are quite
> few of us enthusiasts of the architecture. I run and I know several
other
> people who run the Linux operating system on our Alphas. Previously,
> Compaq has provided a few tools for Alpha Linux that, while
> unmaintained at this point, still are valuable (and in tests far
outperform
> the gnu equivalents of today). I'd like to see these tools open-sourced
so
> that the community can better make use of them.
>
> Specifically, the tools I am looking for include the Alpha-Optimized C,
> C++ and FORTRAN compilers, libots, libcpml, libcxml and ladebug.
>
> Are there current plans to release these tools as open-source?
Currently,
> support is slowly being dropped or slowly dying away for the Alpha
> architecture in tools such as GNU libc and the compiler collection.
With