RedHat 7.2 on ES40 AlphaServer - Boot Problem - Help Solving

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Sun Dec 13 19:53:31 UTC 2009

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification on all that.  Unless you tell them differently
Fedora and Ubuntu will dump everything into one big / directory.  The Alpha
Core distros based on Fedora will do the same thing, but at least you can do a
custom partition install. On the latest Ubuntu you can not even do a text
install and the graphic install is pretty much useless for a custom partition
scheme.

Anyway, I think the old Unix users' habit of putting the /usr directory onto a
separate partition, or better yet, a separate disk, is the way to go
Especially if you have valuable programs or data, like the OP.