Interest in Alpha-Core (was RE: RedHat 7.2 on ES40 AlphaServer - Boot Problem - Help Solving)

Jim McCarthy jkmccarthy at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 13 22:06:51 UTC 2009

I've got a DEC Alpha PWS 600au Miata (dual Elsa Gloria Synergy 8Mb PCI)
still running RH7.2 ... yes, shame on me for not keeping up with the
times ....

The graphics boards are Permidia-2, which translates to GLINT meaning
I'm probably OK on that front, but is Jay's list of target machines in
reference *only* to the DVD image -- implying that I should be okay if
I grab the three CD ISO's ? (which would be my only hope anyway, since
the Miata has CD-ROM but no DVD drive...)

Thanks in advance for the clarification,

    -- Jim

The other "more modern" Alpha Linux upgrade I would consider besides
Alpha-Core would be CentOS 4.3 (compiled from RHEL 4.3 source rpms).
While I've never used CentOS, on my x86 and ia64 machines I've been
using Scientific Linux 4.x for the past couple years now (and SL is
also based on the RHEL 4.x source rpms), but SL doesn't offer a build
for Alpha.