Interest in Alpha-Core (was RE: RedHat 7.2 on ES40 AlphaServer - Boot Problem - Help Solving)

Wilson Morris grem1999 at suddenlink.net
Mon Dec 14 20:10:14 UTC 2009

On 12/14/2009 09:10 AM, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> That's pretty much correct - I think the older SRMs can't handle the
> "distance offset" to various parts of the boot sequence (bootstrap
> or kernel or /etc/aboot.conf).
>
> Also note the size of the DVD image: < 2GB. Unfortunately, the last
> released version of SRM (v7.3) was using a signed int for offset, and
> doesn't understand "negative" ones... :-\
>
> So, if you want to boot one of the newer machines from DVD, the image has
> to be kept small enough. I do believe that even the old machines might
> be able to boot from a DVD drive/image, if the image were kept small
> enough for those old SRMs to handle (say CD size :-), but have never
> actually tried it (and what would be the purpose :-).
>
> Good luck.
>
> --Jay++
>
> Matt Turner wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sorry for the confusion:
>>>
>>> The CD images should work on all machines, while the DVD will ONLY
>>> work on the following (AFAIK): DS10/15/20/25 ES40/45.
>>>
>> To clarify more: I think the reason for this is that SRM can't boot
>> from DVD (even if you have a DVD drive) on systems other than these.

Hi:
I hope I'm not offtopic.  I ran into something similar with a single
partition containing /boot.
Vi left a large numbered inode and a non booting
disk.
Boot with the install disk, and get a terminal.
Mount the hard disk, and cd there.

touch dummy
cp file dummy
rm file
mv dummy file

Better practice is to write a script with file replaced with $1, and run
'script file'.

Thanks,
Wilson