anyone interested in a digital personal workstation 500au? (location: Leuven, Belgium)

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Wed Jan 7 13:01:04 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've got 2 alpha machines which i'm not using anymore (too big, too noisy, too
much electricity usage, ..) and i'm wondering if someone would like to have
these machines?

Important remark:
They have been switched off for quite some time. For some reason, one of the
two doesn't want to boot anymore. It just doesn't do anything when you hit
the power button. I've no idea why and as far as i know, there was nothing
wrong with the machine when i stopped using it (quite some time ago).
Nevertheless the 'broken' machine might be handy because it's full of spare
parts for the other machine or maybe you could combine the ram memory.
=> i guess it's better if both machines go to the same person

Hardware info:
* Digital Personal WorkStation 500au (according to /proc/cpuinfo) or 500a
(that's what it says on the outside)
* 500 mhz Alpha EV56 cpu
* Alpha 1: 256mb (2 memory modules), Alpha 2: 512mb (4 memory modules),
there's room for 6 memory modules in both machines.
* Permedia 2 graphics card i think
* In both machines: 2 Quantum Viking II 4550MB scsi disks
* de4x5 network card
* both have a cdrom, one of them has a floppy drive
* you can attach a ps2 keyboard, ps2 mouse, vga, scsi, serial...
* screen, cables, mouse or keyboard NOT included

I've been running red hat rawhide on this machine (in 2002-2003 if i remember
correctly). They seem to work ok with linux. At that time, they were
relatively fast machines for calculations and quite useful with matlab.

I live in Leuven, Belgium (that's in Europe :-). The machines are quite heavy
and big so i guess it's expensive to send them by post or UPS or something
like that. If you live close to Leuven: great, i'll bring them if really
necessary. If you live quite a  bit further but you're coming to Fosdem on 7
february (www.fosdem.org) by car: i'll be there too and i can take the
alpha's with me.

kind regards,
Dries Verachtert