Secondary architectures and marketing

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Jan 12 10:12:24 UTC 2009

Steven Moix wrote:
> Oliver & Matt,

>>> Yes. CPU power is the most relevant. I do have a few boxes now, but not too
>>> much time to dig into every build problem.
>> Again, this is what I don't understand. Why duplicate effort?
>
> Well, because this was a RedHat mailinglist in the first place and that
> I didn't care much about Gentoo ;) You hijacked this post :p
>
>> Jay Estabrook mentioned to me that he just got xulrunner to compile
>> again, but only with -O0. If this was ever an issue with Gentoo, it's
>> long since fixed.

-O0 is already gone with the latest build (it's -O2 now). We now only
have --no-relax, passed to the linker.

>> You, Oliver, and Jay are two of the best developers we have, and it
>> seems to me to be such a waste of your time and effort to worry about
>> hunting down a build error and generating RPMs.

Thx a lot for the flowers :-)

Well, hunting down build errors is what we *have to do*. If we wouldn't
do that, we wouldn't have recent gcc, glibc, xulrunner, firefox, kernel,
... And that we produce RPMs, well, we're packaging for Fedora. :-)

[ ... ]

> It's a hard question Oliver, but don't you feel that it might be better
 > for the architecture to join up efforts on one distribution?

Sure. Fedora :-P

[ ... ]

-of