Secondary architectures and marketing

Peter Petrakis peter.petrakis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:03:07 UTC 2009

It's been a while since I've posted but I do follow some of the
threads. I've been adding Matt with his efforts via alphalinux.org
as much as possible.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com> wrote:
> Matt Turner wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at> wrote:
>
> And was the solution made (truly) public? Where?

ahem *cough* *cough* I know a place.

> Duplicated effort, true, but why WAS it duplicated?

<shrugs>

Lots of stuff deleted...

I'm with Jay, convincing people to switch away from any long run distro
is a hard pill to swallow. You might as well ask them to switch editors.

> What would be better, again IMHO, would be an Alpha "clearinghouse",
> where potentially common issues that ALL Alpha distros may face would be
> able to be discussed and solved AND TOSE SOLUTIONS MADE PUBLIC.

Agreed. So lets forget about the mechanics for a second (bugzilla,
mailing lists, irc)
and focus on what needs to be addressed.

There's base platform stuff:
- milo
- kernel
- libc
- toolchain

Then userspace:
- X
- *anything else that segfaults

Then what? Without the developers buying in on this "hub" it'll just fall
apart again. I don't want to have to maintain a bugzilla that xrefs other
distro's bugzillas. Which is why the "one distro" approach has so much appeal.

> Initially, there was a linux-alpha KML from "vger" that played the
> part, at least with kernel-related stuff, but it's long dead, AFAIK.
>
> I thought that axp-list had become a good bit more distro-agnostic of late,
> but it's now glaring obvious that it hasn't, or at least not enough, for
> whatever reason(s).
>
> Perhaps resurrecting alphalinux.info and its forums would work?

Anyone with a plan is welcome to help revamp ALO.

Peter

www.alphalinux.org