recent posts

heviarti at puresimplicity.net heviarti at puresimplicity.net
Fri Mar 20 20:38:51 UTC 2009

  I'm still around. One, if I need to talk to someone now, I'll probably
be on irc. I like forums but then it's easier to go with a mailing list,
because the replies to a question are not lost to forum and time.

 As to distro, I have a semi-functioning slackware install from reasonably
recent source courtesy of motoko chan. I also just acquired another
alpha... I have to go into town and see what it is. The local PC shop
calls me when they run into RISC hardware, I understand it and they
don't. apparently it doesn't boot for them, and throws codes. a good dose
of vt320 and rtfm should clear that up.

 I haven't tried gentoo, however the last time I saw it we had a little
athlon sit for two weeks compiling stuff. we eventually got ticked of at
it, and installed slackware. I don't know what to say about fedora. never
run it. I've never liked a redhat-centric distro. (me and the
/etc/sysconfig directory don't get along. configuration belongs in /etc
and /etc/rc.d, period.) debian... geeh. I've had bad results with debian,
it's package management is like a little mode 555 gestapo running on your
system. never mind my big fight with compilers and my firegl 3000.

 I'm mainly runnin a pentium 4 right now, but that's because my 500 still
has debian on it, and the 400 has that incomplete slackware. as soon as i
have a working distro that hasn't package managed itself into unusability
i'll be back where I belong. on my alpha.

 I may be netless again at some point in the near future, but until then
i'll chime in every so often.

    Hev