[RFC] Dropping Alpha sparse mapping support from X

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sun Sep 20 17:22:56 UTC 2009

I have two EV4 or 45 alphas that I use.

The AS500/166 I use for regression testing. When I hit significant
milestones in some of my play projects I'll do regression testing on the
alpha to make sure that I haven't introduced any portability issues.
Getting X working on the AlphaStation hasn't been high on my priority
list, but I've been halfway planning to some day. Truthfully, someday
hasn't gotten any closer in the last 5 years, so I can't exactly
complain that this would hurt me. I have been wanting somthing faster,
however.

If faster more modern systems are cheap and plentiful, what should I
look for and where?

The other is an alphabook 1 that I use when I feel like beating my head
against the wall. I've managed to build two kinds of kernels. The first
kind recognizes the scsi controler and disk. I can build kenels and play
adventure with this one all week except it does not recognize the PCMCIA
bridge. The other kind of kernel seems to recognize the PCMCIA bridge
but breaks the SCSI controler. Not being able to find the root file
system, it dies.

Anybody out there have a kernel that supports both SCSI and PCMCIA on
the alphabook 1, or better yet .configure and patches so I can build my own?

I have found references to netbooting an alphabook. It appears to
require a specific 3com nic. Does it boot from BOOTP or MOP? What device
do I specify on the boot command line?