Re: screader source

Now that you bring the RPM thing up, I want to jump in on the discussion a
bit.  At this point, I don't have my system set up as RPM based as yet.
I've been looking into it and have a hard time convincing myself to
proceed with it.  Yes, the upgrade route makes sence but what about when
you get other packages which are not RPM'd? I either then have to go and
install as before, without any kind of package maintenance or somehow
convert the whole package into a rpm package and install from there.  Oh,
I'm talking about upgrade here.  Like your example below, what if I picked
up a tar.gz because the rpm wasn't available for ppp-2.0?  I use the
ppp-2.0 as an example. what if no rpm was available for that but I wanted
to upgrade that into my system.  This whole rpm business would be moot for
me in that case.  Many packages I deal with aren't in rpm format so I
can't convince myself to convert myy system to rpm or should I say,
"initialize a RPM base for my system".

Feel free to straiten me out if you wish - I'm still learning about and
looking into this rpm stuff.