difficulties installing s.u.s.e.

Hello everyone...

Well I've finally gotten to the point of installing s.u.s.e. The first
part goes fine, the part where the setup program walks you through the
creation of a linux boot disk and a rescue disk.  Btw, I have a proaudio
spectrum sound card with built-in scsi port, and I created the proper boot
disk for this setup.  The problem begins when I instruct the program to
"start the installation" and select "cd-rom" for the method.  I am using
the default packages and so forth, don't want to fool with any of that
yet.  At any rate, when I instruct the program to begin the install, it
sits there for a few seconds and then says something like "an error was
encountered during the install."  There is no further information about
the error.  However I assume that the install program is attempting to
access my cd-rom.  No access light appears during this stage.  At this
point I went into the modules section of the install (those of you
familiar with s.u.s.e. will know what I mean by this), and was warned that
a cd-rom had already been found.  I decided to take a look anyway and low
and behold, my cd-rom is not listed!

Now I will at last come to the point.  Have any of you installed linux,
specifically s.u.s.e. version 5.2 or similar onto a system with a
mediavision multimedia kit e.g. a pro audio spectrum 16 sound card and a
sanyo cdr-h94msv?  I have made a sincere effort to go through the hardware
howto, the installation howto, an installation guide, the scsi howto, and
numerous other documents trying to get this figured out.  Any ideas are
greatly appreciated, I admit to being stumped at this point.
best regards,
Tom