converting spaces to underscores

I have recently gotten linux up and running and I am becoming really
frustrated with the filenames I created in windows which have spaces in
them. Does anyone know of a utility which can convert all the files in a
directory so that all the spaces are underscores. I will have to do a lot
more reading before I will be able to write one myself. If I only had time
to rtfm or ftfm or whatever I am supposed to do with speech. *smile*
Thanks for any help.