Please help

dear all,
I am using redhat 6.2. I have a lot of interesting files stored there. It
was working properly till I configured the sound card. Once I reboot the
system everything was well mounted but the windowx didn't want to appear.
I get a black screen. I waited for 5 min and I got a login prompt but in
vain it doesn't give even the option to enter the password. I don't want
to reinstall it cause I ll loose everything my whole project is there.
Please if anybady can help me I will be really thankful

--Hafida