Re: AFT -- Almost free text.

"But, what about Word?", someone asked.

use plain text and give it a .txt extension, word will be as happy as a
corperat lawyer at a ms convention.  If you use no eol markings etc. the
end user can pull it into a layout in word of their own design.  While we
are talking about it, comma delimited files can be imported into excel and
the access database with equal facility.  The name of the latter is always
ironic as it is the least accessible of the ms "products".  The reality is
that there are universal formats, ascii text and comma delimited data
files.  While I'm on my soapbox, I have always thought using these
universal formats is easily a reasonable accomidation under the ada, no one
need be forced to use windows in many situations.  Even many proprietary
applications used in offices are just front ends for windows based
databases and could easily use one of the universal formats which are
accessible in speech friendly operating systems and applications.