Re: OFF TOPIC: Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:53:10PM +0100, Hans Zoebelein wrote:
> Rafael,
>
> from the Blinux at http://www.leb.net/blinux/blinux-faq.html#toc1.2
>
> > 1.2 Q: Which postings are on topic for blinux-list?
> >
> >  A: All themes which are related to 'eyes free' access to the Linux
> > operating system are on topic for blinux-list. Also themes like
> > installing, configuring maintaining and improving blind related software
> > or hardware. So is news related to software or hardware for the Linux
> > user who is blind.
> >

> > 1.3 Q: Which postings are off topic for blinux-list?
> >
> >  A: Blinux-list is not intended as a place to get answers for general
> > Linux questions; there are plenty of resources available on the net for
> > this. Typical off topic postings are general Linux questions, virus
> > warnings, advertisements (spammers will be banned). If appropriate, use
> > personal email when you want to communicate with a list member. This FAQ
> > provides pointers to useful places where to search for information.
>

> A Redhat merger may affect users of Redhat and therefore also users of
> Redhat who are blind. Discussing the future behaviour of AOL/Time Warner/Redhat
> when it comes to blind support for Linux would be on topic here.
> But who would know anything substantial about that?
>
> So any 'discussion' about a potential merger wouldn't be anything than
> idle talk. I have widened the frame of topics at blinux-list to the
> limits, as long as there is a glimmer of relationship to blind support
> under Linux. But there is a 'maximum pain' limit.

That's what I thought. This mailing list is on one of their servers as far
as I can tell so it might get affected by the merger. Also, the discussion
comes up about other distributions which is "out of redhat domain".

Perhaps there should be a complete domain dedicated to everything for
linux users with limited or no vision. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
have more than one mailing list to separate technical issues from whatever
else is of interest to the users. I checked blinux.org and found that it's
already in use so something else would be needed in case people wanted
independence from a certain corporate entity.

> PS: Redhat is a linux distributor like many others. They don't own Linux.
> So if you feel that other distributors offer better blind support (SuSE
> is really engaged in making Linux accessible for users who are blind),
> vote with your feet and install that Linux distro, that meets your needs best.
>
> PPS: Redhat is so kind to host blinux-list on their servers. Besides
> this, there is no other relation between Redhat and blinux-list.

Understood but a more independance wouldn't hurt. People should have a
choice IMO.

--
Rafael