brltty with the braille lite

Has anyone successfully gotten brltty to work with the Braille lite 40
with firmware from December 1999. I know this is old, but I would like
to get braille access to linux without paying the monopolists for a
bugfix er upgrade. Any tips would be helpful, thanks.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.