starting brltty at bootup

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 7 18:53:09 UTC 2004

[quoted lines by Roy Nickelson on 2004/04/07 at 13:41 -0400]

>What is the recomended way to have brltty automatically start up at bootup?
>I know about the /usr/rc.local file but I was hoping to get brltty started
>earlier in the boot process.

There's a section in BRLTTY's manual (online at BRLTTY's web site) which
discusses this issue in detail. It's too long to repeat in full here, so please
do read it. Assuming that you're using a serial port which is accessible right
at the outset, I personally start brltty with the following line in my
/etc/inittab:

   brl::sysinit:/bin/brltty

Since the "sysinit" entries are processed in order, you must ensure that this
one is the first one if you want brltty to start right away.

http://familyradio.com/                   | http://mielke.cc/bible/