Changing the behaviour of ls, possibly via a script

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Aug 14 02:11:03 UTC 2004

You could do it with awk.  You'd need to write a small script and the
script could run ls for you and rearrange the fields the way you need
them.  From what you write, you'd put a line to rearrange the fields in
your awk script like printf("$4 $1 $2 $3");  awkuses the $ notation
followed by numbers to specify fields.  I did a little bit with awk many
moons ago.  Fortunately an internet book exists that can show you lots of
stuff.  If you don't get a satisfactory and functional answer here, you
might consider sed-users-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.  That list handles
both sed and awk questions extensively.