Looking for a Programming Project which would really benefit blindpeople

Hello,

I'm blind myself, and I'm hapiest when I have a good programming project.
So I'm looking for suggestions for programs that would really benefit
blind people. I think a text-mode program, possibly using the curses
library, would be most appropriate. I've tested Gnome and Gnopernicus, but
they really aren't ready for normal use by blind persons, at least not for
those who use braille displays.

On a related subject, I really can't see any inherent advantage to a GUI
unless you can actually SEE the screen. All the usability features can be
implemented in text mode.

Thanks,

--
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.