[OT] Oracle Portal site redesign...

Gilles Casse gcasse at oralux.org
Mon Jul 26 22:02:22 UTC 2004

Mario Lang writes:
 > I've been told this will involved heavy javascript usage, and will effectively render the whole web system inaccessible to me.

I wonder how many visitors of the university will have Javascript already disabled in their web browser.
For example here are a few lines from the US-CERT (United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team)
The link is a the end [1].

"End-User Systems
When an end-user visits a web site that has been compromised, this JavaScript attempts to access a file hosted on another server. This file may contain malicious code that can affect the end-user's system.

This activity is another example of why end users must exercise caution when JavaScript is enabled in their web browser. Disabling JavaScript will prevent this activity from affecting an end-user's system, but may also degrade the appearance and functionality of some web sites that rely upon JavaScript. US-CERT recommends that end-users disable JavaScript unless it is absolutely necessary. Users should be aware that any web site, even those that may be trusted by the user, may be affected by this activity and thus contain potentially malicious code."

[1] http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html

--
Oralux http://oralux.org