a question about chmod and chown and chgrp

Andor Demarteau ademarte at students.cs.uu.nl
Mon Mar 1 13:43:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Scott Berry wrote:

 > Hi there list,
 >
 > I have a partition on my hard drive called /private.  Now I want to makie
 > this so that only root and user Scott can see this directory.  What would
 > be the best combination of chown and chgrp as well as chmod?  Will I need
 > to umask also?  Thanks for the help.
chmod 0700 or 0600 (dirs or files and 0700 for executable stuff).
Make the dir chown scott, chgrp doesn't matter as the group has no access.
Root has always access to everything so no special access is necessary for
root.

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte at cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn: do ask ;)