Replacing Readit with lynx

John J. Boyer director at chpi.org
Mon Mar 1 17:34:17 UTC 2004

Hello,

When I inquired about a programming project a few days ago, I got some

]It now occurs to me that Lynx may be able to do much of what Readit was
doing. If you type lynx on the command line followed by a directory name,
including just a dot, lynx will open that directory and display the files
as a series of links on a Web page. The information for each file
resembles that shown by the DoS dir command. you can move up and down
through the list with the arrow keys. Or you can go to a specific entry
using the slash query function. When you press enter on an entry, the file
is opened if it is any kind of text file. If the entry is a directory, it
is displayed as a file list, like the original directory. If you are on a
file entry and want to get rid of that file, pressing "r" will do it. Lynx
asks if you want to remove it before carrying out the action. Even more
functionality can probably be obtained by editing your .mailcap file.

I have used Lynx as a maintenance tool on programming projects. thping an
exclamation point will take you out to a shell, where you can run the
compiler, etc. To get back into Lynx you type exit at a shell prompt.

Thpe this helps.

John
 --
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.