Fedora or Debian?

David Renström david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com
Wed Mar 24 07:59:38 UTC 2004

Hi Lorenzo!

Ok, I'll try Fedora first of all. But the problem is that there's no
bootdisk.img included on the installation CD (disc 1) as stated in the
README file in the images directory. Does anyone know where I can get a
bootdisk.img for Fedora FC2 Test1 (the latest version I found)?

Regards,
/David R.
At 16:48 2004-03-23 -0500, you wrote:
>Thus spake David Renstr?m:
># I'm thinking of installing Linux on my Dell laptop. Which distribution do
># you suggest, Fedora or Debian?
>
>Personally, I use Fedora and Debian.  However, due to the wide variety of
>packages that are precompiled for Debian and the ease of configuration and
>maintenance of those packages, Debian is my personal favourite now.  Also,
>packages are easier to keep updated in Debian, although Fedora has now
>implemented some of the same features.  Although the package update
>system, (yum)
>in Fedora is nowhere as good as apt, and to get apt you have to go and
>download
>it.  Debian already has apt, and has more tools to go with it, including a bug
>tracker that pulls all bugs filed against an upgraded package and asks you
>if you
>still want to install a buggy package.
>
># As I understand it Debian is nice once you get it to work, but it might be
># complicated to install.
>
>The speakup-modified Sarge CD didn't seem to be hard to install for me.  IMHO,
>the Debian installer has com a long way.
>
># I am also interested to know if Fedora uses some kind of annoying
>graphics mode
># when booting (like RedHat 9.0).
>
>By default, it does, but in Fedora, this produces the interesting
>sideaffect that
>the system will beep when it is time to login.  You then press alt-f1 and
>login
>as usual.  If you want to change this behaviour, edit /etc/inittab and
>change the
>default runlevel to 3 instead of 5.  This will automatically drop you into a
>text-based login prompt.
>
># I'm going to use BRLTTY on this machine.
>
>Again I will exercise the right to state my personal opinion.  ;-) I would
>definitely go with Debian there, simply becaust the latest version of
>brltty is
>always available from unstable.
>
>apt-get -t unstable install brltty
>
>will always get you the very latest version.  Brltty is, however, included in
>Fedora as well.  I just isn't the very latest version.  There seems to be no
>stability issues with using the latest brltty, so using a slightly older
>version
>may or may not increase stability of the package.
>
>My best suggestion, (all opinions aside), is to try both and see which
>works best
>for *you*.  I selected Debian as my personal favourite, but Fedora may
>actually
>suit your needs better.
>
>HTH,
>PRINCE

* Phone:        +46(0)910-78 17 51                                 *
* Mobile:       +46(0)70-641 96 20                                 *
* Mail:         david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com *
* ICQ#: 122060651                                              *