What's a braille display that _works_?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue May 4 14:27:52 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

A trend among hardware as well as software manufacturers seems to be to
release a product or program "on time" rather than when it's ready. I'm
thinking specifically of braille displays, and I've read reports over the
past couple years of braille displays allegedly not working as advertised.
These reports frequently come from vendors of rival products, but they don't
always.

I'm going to a technology bash tomorrow in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with a heavy
interest in looking at braille hardware that's currently being manufactured.
Do any of you have experience, especially bad experience, with stuff on the
market today? Is there anything I need to stay away from because of its not
(yet) working on Linux?

Thanks much,

Lee