How to open a TCP/IP port?

David Renström david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com
Thu May 20 11:48:49 UTC 2004

Hi Mike!

Yeah, that did it! Thanks a bunch! Can't believe I didn't see that before.

Thanks,
/David R.
At 23:47 2004-05-19 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>Look for the bind-address in my.cnf (in /etc/mysql under gentoo).  You'll
>probably see a line line
>bind-address=127.0.0.1
>
>If you remove or comment this line, then mysql will listen on all
>interfaces, or you could change it to another interface.  It doesn't seem
>to be possible to specify multiple bind addresses, so if you want to have
>it bind to more than one interface but not all interfaces, then you may
>need to use iptables to have the kernel set up some rules.
>
>-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --
>A better world is possible! http://www.kucinich.us
>
>On Thu, 20 May 2004, David Renström wrote:
>
> > Hi list members!
> >
> > I've isolated the problem of me not being able to remotely connect to my
> > MySQL server. If I use the nmap command to scan port 3306 with the
> loopback
> > as argument, it works fine (it reports that the port is open). But, if I
> > use the local IP address of the host (192.168.0.82) it doesn't. Somehow,
> > the TCP/IP port is blocked. My question is quite simple: How do I open
> this
> > port? Another question would be why it's closed in the firstplace... :-(
> >
> > Please help me solve this problem, cause it's driving me nuts for the
> moment!!

* Phone:        +46(0)910-78 17 51                                 *
* Mobile:       +46(0)70-641 96 20                                 *
* Mail:         david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com *
* ICQ#: 122060651                                              *