Shaving mp3s?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 7 14:18:16 UTC 2004

Hi, Lee:

Well, I'm sorry you feel I'm disturbing the public peace with my
comments about MP3, but I can assure you I am in no way embarrassed
about what I said. First of all, I clearly marked my comment as
opinion--mine, to be precise.

As to your suggestion that we should accept MP3 without comment because
it's the most popular and successful recording format, well it isn't a
recording format, but we can let that pass. The more salient point is
that were we to follow this logic we'd all quickly run out and get a
fresh copy of Windows XP and blow away our Linux computers, now wouldn't
we?

As to my point in the original response, it was simply to point out that
one can expect fewer tools for managing issues such as was asked about
because of the license that comes with mp3. That's all. And, I do
people, especially people using Linux, need to be aware of such things.

So, I hope I haven't disturbed your solace with this note--but you did
ask.