Installing Debian with Cygwin

John J. Boyer director at chpi.org
Sat Sep 18 18:36:33 UTC 2004

I've just got my new Dell computer working with Windows XP, WindowEyes and
Cygwin. It has an empty partition waiting for Linux. However, this
partition has the NTFS file system. Does Cygwin have a utility for setting
it to ext3? Once this is done, can I use dbootstrap from Debian? How do I
get the latest kernel installed? The linux partition on this machine will
be for software development and testing, so I'm thinking of installing
Debian Unstable? I will be using brltty as my screenreader. The machine
has no serial ports. WindowEyes works with a USB to serial adaptor and my
Braille Lite. Can I use the adaptor and the braille lite with BRLTTY?

How do I make the machine dual-boot? I think lilo would work better for me
than grub.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.