saving and opening.doc files in linux

peter.rayner at cea.fr peter.rayner at cea.fr
Wed Apr 6 12:11:21 UTC 2005

I have two partial solutions for writing word files.
1) Almost Free Text
http://www.maplefish.com/todd/aft.html
Doesn't produce .doc but does produce .rtf that word seems to munch on
quite happily.

2) tex2word & word2tex.
http://www.chikrii.com/products/word2tex/
these are word plug-ins that do just what the
names sugggest.  they are not free.   They mean I can both read word
files from colleagues *Including* the equations (finally) and can
contribute LATeX fragments to multi-author word documents.   Easily my
favourite  software discovery for 2005
They require one to write in TeX (usually LATeX).

regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner