problems with speakup on my gentoo box.

Okay, I made the changes that Willem van der Walt <wvdwalt csir co za>
recommended but now when I boot my system, one of two things happen
when it is caching service dependencies.

1. computer freezes with speakup built into the kernel and modprobe
speakup_sftsyn commented out of /etc/rc.local
2. I get an error message with speakup built as modules and modprobe
speakup_sftsyn uncommented in /etc/rc.local with the following error
in /var/log/kernel/current.

Apr 18 09:05:44 [kernel] speakupmain: Unknown symbol speakup_set_addresses

is there anything I can do to remedy this problem?