Most suitable linux distro for a blind linux newbie?

Larissa Naber larissa at naber.biz
Sun Aug 7 05:17:52 UTC 2005

Hi!

My friend Yasemin, who is blind, wants to give Linux a spin. Now I'm
looking for a suiteable distro. Although I have plenty of Linux
experience my knowledge concerning making linux work for ablind person
is somewhat limited. As of now, I spectaculariy failed to make my
emacspeak speak. Most of my own maschines are running either gentoo or
slackware and I used Suse in the past.

I believe that a distro with a bsd like port system such as debian or
gentoo is easiest to handle for a newbie. As gentoo tends to be a bit
volatile, I probably would rather pick a debian stable release. Anybody
out there using debian?

We allready tried a Suse (which refused to recognize the braille
terminal, a baum vario 40) and a oralux (which just would not talk on
her machine - I guess I'll have to put in a different sound card,
probably some windows only onboard chip)

It is not necessary that she'll be able to install the maschine all by
herlf (at least not yet).

Please let me know what you are using, and why you are using it.

Greetings

Larissa