running linux on laptops

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Sun Aug 14 21:30:46 UTC 2005

Hi Michael,

As long as you have a laptop with say a PII or better (say something built
in the last six years or so), then it should have the CPU power to handle
software speech.  I think that the most important thing for you to do
would be to figure out if Linux supports all of the components you need to
work on anything you buy.  I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 which I occasionally
boot into Linux, and the sound card and network card work, although it
seems that only one program can write to the sound card at a time, which
can be annoying.  A user-level program such as ESD might theoretically be
able to overcome this, although the last time I checked it offered no way
to drain the audio sent to it, which would make it unusable for a screen
reader that needs to be able to silence the speech.  I have not been able
to get the wireless card to work (it may be doable with ndiswrapper if
nothing else, but I haven't tried that).  Anyway, having a multi-channel
sound card would be nice if possible.

Laptops are a lot more proprietary than desktops.  You cannot simply buy a
case and motherboard off the shelf for a laptop and add a cpu, memory, a
video card, a hard disk, etc. as you can with a desktop.  So my guess
would be that your sister's contact could build you a desktop but not a
laptop.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --