running linux on laptops

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Mon Aug 15 22:54:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Janina Sajka wrote:

> ESD couldn't possibly help you because it's OSS based. However, the

Actually it can interface with ALSA along with OSS and several other
interfaces used on various operating systems.  But it still doesn't
provide an API that could be used to silence the speech.

> latest alsa releases support something called dmix by default. This is
> alsa's software mixer, and I've had good success playing multiple sound
> sources using it.

Okay, that's good.

> So, Mike, can we look forward to an alsa native yasr sometime soon? Have
> I intrigued you yet?

You didn't say what software synth you are using, so I am assuming flite
via eflite.  It looks as though the flite ALSA driver needs updating, so
I'll look into it.

> PS: You don't say what wireless device you have in your Thinkpad. My
> current Thinkpad is an X31 model with a IPW2100 wireless device builtin.
> It works perfectly well with Linux, but I had to get the binary (non
> open source) drivers and install them in /lib/firmware first. The issue
> is that our GPL supportive distros like Fedora and Debian aren't going
> to ship binary drivers. Nor would I want them to.

I have heard of people using that driver with an R40, but I could not get
it to work and suspect that it is not the chipset used by my card.  It is
an "IBM Dual-Band 11a/b Wi-Fi Wireless Mini PCI Adapter."
lspci outputs
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 168c:0012 (rev 01)

-Mike G-