Suggestions for Linux Outreach

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Wed Feb 2 18:09:01 UTC 2005

Hi All:  I am posting this individually to the Speakup-and-Blinux lists
as well as people who are Linux screen-reader developers.
Several months ago as a linux newbe I began receiving monthly mailings
from
www.linuxquestions.org
While this is a marvelous place-and-resource for those of us who are new
in Linux, I had a suggestion--and-wonder what you all think?  In looking
around their site, so far I see no items involved with any
screen-readers or speech.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we began an
outreach in that community?  Since there are already links to download
distributions, we could just include versions with speaku, Jupiter,
Yasr, and emacs-speak.  Among their site is a link to suggest content,
so before I did that, I thought I would bring up my suggestions here.
I could see areas for files-and-forums for individual projects as well
as a master area similar to Blinux as a forum or sourceforge as a
concept.
As far as who would moderate these forums or file areas, I would think
fans of each project would be good candidates.
I think having a 1stop place to access all Linux screen-readers would be
marvelous.
Lastly, here in LA February 12-13 there is a Linux expo.  While I don't
know if I am the only one from this area, but would their be something
to be gained in having a presence at the LA Convention Center?
Thanks so much in advance for listening--and your ideas
Hart