Fwd: Re: Playing tone through speakers

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Feb 7 15:29:34 UTC 2005

ecasound does this very nicely. For example, here's A 440 as given in
the ecasound documentation:

ecasound -i null -o /dev/dsp -el:sine_fcac,440,1

By the way, you can also get a specific tone from the backspace key by
setting the bell frequency with setterm. I prefer my bell to be a low
burp sort of sound, so have the following in my .bashrc:

setterm -bfreq 55