off topic braille display

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 15:32:32 UTC 2005

I have both braille and speech and I don't use braille as a backup; I
prefer braille.
My braillelite 40 and my braillelite 18 are both used and they have been
serving me well; certainly there is some risk but the comparison of the
price between new and used is most definitely a major factor. Had I waited
to save for something new, in all likelihood I never would have gotten
braille at all.

I much prefer using the 40; the action on the 18 and the line length are
both negative factors but in an emergency it also works ok; at least if
getting a braillelite I'd recommend a 40.

I haven't used an 80-cell display. What I understand is nice about some of
them is that they are actually displays not notetakers serving as
displays; therefore they fit under your keyboard and the display is right
in front of you; this is probably true of a lot of displays vs. notetakers
per se, not just 80s. Of course, an 80 of any kind is probably going to be
very expensive.

--
Cheryl