Firefox in Linux?

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Thu Feb 10 22:45:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 06:48:04AM EST, Martin McCormick wrote:
> Luke Yelavich writes:
> >I would stick with lynx at this stage, as accessible firefox is not
> >exactly ready for prime time yet.
>
> 	I can understand that since it is written for a GUI
> environment.  Is there any project afoot to make it accessible one of
> these days?  I still think the open-source software is more likely to
> give us better accessibility in the long run but patience will need to
> be a virtue since the problems that need to be solved are thorny to
> say the least.  I think Firefox is open source but I may be mistaken.

if you are prepared to spend time setting up X and GNOME, you can use
Gnopernicus to get an idea of what FireFox is like. Gnopernicus will
give you access to the GNOME desktop, and a bit of access in FireFox.

FireFox has a carrot browsing mode, which basically allows you to move a
cursor round reading by line, etc. However, it doesn't as yet handle
complex site layouts, such as tables. It it turned on by the F7 key,
however the dialog that you get the first time is not read out either,
so there is still a lot of work to do.

Luke