linux and users

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Feb 24 17:12:28 UTC 2005

Shaun Everiss, le ven 25 fév 2005 05:56:41 +1300, a dit :
> I know In linux you need a root account.
> However is it posibal not to have a second account as I don't want to actually log in.

You should really have a second account: root account has every right,
including thrashing the whole system, while regular accounts don't have
it, they just have the right to work in their own place, which is just
fine.

> Note! this aint a secure system, so the account don't need a password or anything like that.

You may leave the password empty.

> If I can't is there a autologon or something?

There is no standard I'm aware of for text mode, but you may build your
own: in /etc/inittab, there are lines like:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

You may replace this by
1:2345:respawn:/bin/su -c sh - yourlogin < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1

Regards,
Samuel