Solaris 10 released, with accessibility built-in! Also FreeTTS 1.2 released. (fwd)

Michael Malver mmalver at visi.com
Fri Feb 25 11:50:56 UTC 2005

One of the things I like about speakup is the ability to install the os
myself.  I am totally blind, and own a dectalk.  I know nothing of Solaris,
but would be greatly indebted to anyone who could do a realistic evaluation
of how "accessible" this is.  The press release looks great, but most people
I know who have used Linux say the x-windows access with screen reading
isn't ready for common use.  Has sun created something in terms of screen
reading beyond what is available in Linux??
I'd love to install the os, but want a person who doesn't work for sun to
evaluate the usefulness of the accessibility features from the perspective
of a totally blind person.
Michael
p.s. I truly hope it doesn't appear I'm flaming the wonderful work on access
sun is doing. I'm simply concerned as to how usable this is before I invest
limited time.