Solaris 10 released, with accessibility built-in! Also FreeTTS 1.2 released. (fwd)

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Mon Feb 28 19:21:14 UTC 2005

Hi.  Guess I should try to explain better.

First, It's been almost 4 years since I've used Windows.  Whe you access
a Linux system from Windows with (for example) ssh, the accessibility of
the Windows ssh client plays an important role in the experience.  For
me using a text console, there isn't any difference from a local log in
or a ssh session.  I still see posts on lists from Windows users who are
having problems that are caused by the Windows ssh client not being
completely accessable.
BTW, I know Windows users who know more about bash syntax than me
because they spend more time at the shell while I spend more time
running full screen dialog based apps.

Also consider things like cutting and pasting text.  I know cut and
paste is possible if you run screen on the remote system, but I find it
much easier using speakup's cut and paste.  Do the Windows cut and paste
functions work within the ssh client, or are you forced to use screen's
cut and paste?

One thing I forgot to add in my origional message was: when Gnome has
cut and paste in a gnome-terminal and you can get the accessibility info
from remote Gnome apps, I will have much less need for console access.

          Kenny