Debian speakup-modified installation?

John G. Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 8 15:43:06 UTC 2005

One mistake I made the first time I installed speakup is that I installed
the 2.6 kernel instead of the 2.4 speakup-modified kernel. You're given a
choice but if you install the 2.6 kernel, then you don't get speakup.

One thing that isn't clear in your message is how you know speakup isn't
there. You don't have a synth so obviously, it's not speaking. You say you
have sighted assistance so I'm guessing your friend installed it for you?
Probably speech wasn't working during the install either, right?

I have an external synth but I know that if I don't have it connected and
turned on at boot time, I don't get speech. There is probably some way to
get it started but usually, I just reboot.