help about recompiling BRLTTY with another display

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Jun 28 16:25:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

Talksina boom boom, le Tue 28 Jun 2005 16:16:49 +0200, a écrit :
> I mean, can I execute with my brltty 3.4.1 running and my old display
> connected in com1, the commands:
> $ cd brltty-x.x.x
> $ tar xzvf file
> $ ./configure with options
> $ make
> # make install
> or should I stop brltty daemon before installing the new one, or worse,
> remove the 3.4.1?

I'd say you'd better run
echo brltty hold | dpkg --set-selections
so as to keep ubuntu's /etc/init.d/brltty file (which is not provided by
brltty itself), but still prevent ubuntu from reinstalling it.

The steps before make install will pose no problem. make install
should not pose problem either. But remember to copy /bin/brltty to
/sbin/brltty, so as to overwrite ubuntu's brltty with the new one. Then
you may run /etc/init.d/brltty restart and it should work.

But if for any reason the new brltty fails to run, get sure to have some
way to get back to ubuntu's one (by running apt-get install --reinstall
brltty for instance).

Regards,
Samuel