Experiences with Elba

John J. Boyer director at chpi.org
Thu Mar 3 03:10:28 UTC 2005

The Elba is indeed an interesting Linux Braille PDA. However, it takes
some getting used to. So far, I haven't been able to set it to my
preferences. In particular, I can't get it to stop talking. This is
very irritating, since even with my cochlear implant turned off i can
feel the vibrations. Also, if I switch it to Grade 2, it promptly goes
back to computer braille when I change to a different application. I've
tried turning off speech in the setup application numerous times, with
no result. Maybe I have to be root to change the defaults, but there is
no mention of this in the manual.

I haven't been able to subscribe to the Elba mailing list. The address
given here a few days ago doesn't seem to work.

With all that, the Elba has a nice user interface. It is a good example
of how the usability generally associated with a GUI can be built into a
text-mode interface.

John

--
John J. boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.