Is there a list for blind Mac users and programmers? (OT)

Bailey, Bruce Bruce.Bailey at ed.gov
Sat Mar 19 18:40:19 UTC 2005

Hi John.  Remember me?  You might prefer I let someone else answer.

> Does anyone know about such a list?

If not, does anyone care to volunteer to start such a thing?
The demand will be high I think after Tiger (OS X 10.4) ships with its integrated screen reader Voice Over.

If the answer to both questions is no, what public lists (egroups, geocities, etc.) have a good reputation for being accessible?
I have used the Apple discussion boards, but not with a screen reader.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/

> Will the Tiger release of OS X  support braille access?

IMHO this question should be directed towards the Braille device manufacturers.  For $500 they could have been working with the pre-release of Tiger for about a year now.  For another $500 they could buy a brand new Mac.  They really have no good excuse for not having this on their radar.
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/tigerkit.html

Any device that work with BSD Unix on USB ports should at least work at the OS X command prompt.
I am not sure how useful this is.  Some day I hope to try to get NFBtrans working under the OS X command prompt, but I have just not been able to make the time.

The Macintosh has since Jaguar (OS X 10.2) included an intriguing check box option under the Universal Access System Preference for "Enable Access for assistive devices".  My early inquiries about this lead me to believe that this is a hook primarily for dynamic Braille displays.  It is unchecked by default, as I understand it, because to do otherwise is a security risk.  All this is way over my head technically.  In the few short years since this option first appeared I have NOT heard even rumors of any developer taking advantage of the feature.  Maybe this could be made to work with brailletty?