gnome question

Title: gnome question

Hello!
What differences is there between the gnome desktop environment and the x environment?
I have read a bit, but can't really find any.
also, what packages do I need to install in order to enable gnoe?
I didn't install it with fedora core since I'm unsure if gnome will start automatically as x does if I select that during the installation.

is there automatic boot of gnome like for x?
thanks
/kristoffer