OT: yasr and cygwin

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Mon May 2 16:16:56 UTC 2005

Hi Hank,

I once got yasr to compile under cygwin (I can't remember if I had to make
any changes), but I don't think I ever tried running it.  I didn't have a
synth for it (I guess it didn't occur to me to try hooking up my
speakout).

I would really like for yasr to run under cygwin.  It would be nice to be
able to carry around a speech-enabled cygwin environment on one of those
little USB flash devices so that I could go to any Windows box and at
least access a command line without having to install any software.  The
harder part might be getting a speech synthesizer for it (I'm not sure
that cygwin supports named pipes, for instance, so eflite may not work
without customization, or perhaps Microsoft Text to Speech support or
something similar could be added in).  I am fairly busy right now though
and probably will not be able to make time to work on it for a while as
much as I would like to (of course, anyone else is welcome to experiment
and make a patch).

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --