gnome question

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Mon May 2 17:23:15 UTC 2005

Hi.

My point is that a display manager isn't the same is a window manager.
Basically, the display manager manages the Xservers, while the window
manager manages windows drawn on a specific display.

If you use "startx", then you don't want the display manager running on
the same work station.  If you do need to keep a display manager running
on that box, and you still want to use "startx", then you will have to
set environment vars to make sure the "startx" script launches an
Xserver on a display not managed by the display manager.

The behavior you see with Fedora is specific to Fedora.  If you want
Debian to use gdm, you will have to install it.  By default, the display
manager will be xdm.  Since the display manager is at the level of X,
kdm can just as easily be used.

You are correct that gdm is best designed for the Gnome desktop, but
using it isn't required and doesn't contribute as much toward
accessibility as the window manager will.  If you use the wrong window
manager, you could loose most keyboard shortcuts and some important
messages about changes in windows on the system.
Totem is a good example of this.  It shows the song playing in it's
title.  As the songs change on a mp3 streem, the title is updated.
Gnopernicus will read you the new title without you needing to do
anything because metacity is providing the info to gnopernicus.  If you
use a different window manager, you will likely loos this information.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny