up2date confusion

Michael Malver mmalver at visi.com
Sat May 28 12:13:00 UTC 2005

Is there a way to use up2date to get sources without getting binaries. I
wanted to get the kernel source just in case I decided I wanted to
recompile.
 I tried
up2date -d -f -src kernel
up2date  used an archive outside the us, and timed out before it could
finished. I simply wondered though if this is the right command. I want only
the sources.  I don't want the binaries
i used -f to force kernel to download dispite being in my exclude list. I
used -d because that is supposed to download without installing.  I assume
if I installed the binaries, I could screw up the kernel.  Is this wrong?
What exactly is the difference between install and updating?
Thanks for all the help.