Distributing braille documens digitally, suggestions please

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Thu Oct 13 14:20:00 UTC 2005

The Unicode range 2800-28ff is the "official" way to represent any 8-dot
braille pattern, but I don't know whether anyone actually uses and supports
it.  Also I would expect problems (in 6-dot braille) with different
embossers and page sizes.  Or are you contemplating only reading this
braille on refreshable displays?

At 09:26 AM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
>Hi.
>
>As we all know, braille is differently standardized in nearly every
>country (I so wish I could hurt the people responsible for that).
>Now, how would you go about distributing braille in an electronic
>format over the internet?  In particular, I am thinking
>about braille music notation, which is in essence standardized
>the same way in the US and in the EU, but there still remains
>the "charset" problem.  Is there actually a standard way
>of specifying an ASCII files braill encoding, or
>will I have to rely on guesswork?  How about encoding variants?  How
>can I guarantee that the table used by the user of the document is
>the same as the standard for that country defines?  Questions
>over questions.  Its a horrible mess, I hope someone has a nice
>and technically feasable solution for this.
>--
>CYa,
>   Mario

... Creating implements of mass instruction.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.