French speech music and so on

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Sep 5 14:22:48 UTC 2005

Generally speaking, the Linux environment is not accessible in the same
way as Windows for blind musicians. There are tasks that people perform
with applications like Sonar which are not available to us on LInux. On
the other hand, I would argue that there are tasks which can be
performedfar more reliably and with greater accessibility on LInux. So,
much depends on what you want to do. Much also depends on your
proficiency with Linux. In general, I believe Linux music making
requires greater technical proficiency but rewards you with more
reliable performance. At the very least you will need to be very
comfortable with command line interfaces, something which now appears
trange and quixotic to those blind people who have been first introduced
to computing under Windows in the past decade.

Places to start:

ecasound
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound/

It is not easy to learn ecasound, but it is a very powerful application.

You should also look at:

http://www.audiosynth.com/
http://linux-sound.org/toc.html
Also look at the applications for music/audio editing at
http://www.linux-speakup.org

You should subscribe to the Linux Audio User list:

Good luck.